Covid Rapid Antigen Test
Covid Rapid Antigen Test
- This is also a nasal swab test, like gold standard PCR test, but is faster and less expensive.
- We’re using a top-tier test; CE marking alone is not a sufficient guarantee of reliability – our test also has European Commission endorsement and is recognised between E.U. member states (see 3, below)
- Also known as a ‘Lateral Flow Test’
- Not as accurate as a PCR test but does pick up most cases quickly.
- Test processed on-site by us with a result certificate e-mailed to you within 30 minutes of your test being performed (for assistance with your after-test result, including out-of-hours, 7 days, e-mail email@example.com)
We can’t do the test on you if:
- You’re not following current Irish Government travel rules (check here
- You have Covid symptoms currently or have been diagnosed within the past 10 days.
- You have been identified as a ‘close contact’ of a Covid case and you have symptoms; see https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing/if-you-are-a-close-contact.html
- Your GP (Family Physician) has already referred you to the HSE (Irish national Health Service) for a Covid PCR swab test.
Full Patient Guidance (‘terms & conditions’) for the Covid Rapid Antigen (RA) test:
In undergoing the test, you are agreeing to all of the following:
1. About one in three Covid cases have no symptoms. This test is most useful for those who are well and want to quickly (within 30 minutes) confirm that they are not likely to be an asymptomatic Covid case. If you are a close contact of a known Covid case, you understand you should instead be tested through the H.S.E. (Irish national health service)
2. You understand that the reassurance provided by a negative result is valid for the point in time at which the test was performed.
3. Test accuracy varies between the many brands of test on the market. The European Commission has selected the brands it is satisfied meet its accuracy requirements (European Commission ‘Common List of Covid-19 Rapid Antigen Tests’, mutually recognised between E.U. member states, 17th Feb. 2021, updated 23rd July 2021) available as a pdf download here https://bit.ly/2YxwABG. Our Rapid Antigen (‘RA’) test (Healgen Scientific Ltd.) is one of these tests (many in use in Ireland are not). The Commission’s assessment of the Healgen test is that it has a 96.7% sensitivity. The accuracy of this class of test is also affected by the background rate of Covid in the population at the time you get tested – an accessible explanation as to why can be found in this article (18th April 2021) from Britian’s Observer newspaper https://bit.ly/2QPOwUq.
4. You are prepared for the possibility of a positive RA test result. In the event of a positive RA result, we will e-mail you and suggest you consider doing a confirmatory PCR swab test (although you will have to go to a different clinic for a PCR test, as we no longer provide PCR testing at our clinic).
5. In the event of a positive RA test result, you agree to not seek repeat RA testing until the result of a PCR test becomes available and is negative.
6. You understand that in the event of a positive RA test, if you have not already done a PCR test with us at the time your RA test was being done, you should proceed to have a PCR swab test done with any provider of your choice - the HSE, who will do a PCR test for free (but will not issue documentation to support international travel). You can book a HSE PCR test online. A PCR test for international travel will oblige you to book a test with any private clinic of your choice.
7. You understand that it is possible that in the event of a positive RA test result, you might subsequently test negative on PCR swab testing. Should this arise, you understand that we performed the RA test in good faith and you agree to not seek a refund for the RA test we performed on you.
8. You accept that in the event of you having the RA test done as a travel requirement, should a positive RA result occur which is subsequently disproved by a negative PCR result, you will not claim any liability against Travel Health Clinic (including but not limited to costs associated with re-scheduled travel arrangements).
9. You understand that this test produces ‘no result’ on very rare occasions. You agree to remain in the neighbourhood of the clinic for 20 minutes after the test and remain available by mobile phone during that time so that the Clinic can phone you to recall you for immediate re- testing (no extra cost to you), should the initial test fail to deliver a clear ‘negative’ or ‘positive’ result.
10. You understand that if for any reason your result has not arrived to your inbox after 30 minutes and you are receiving no reply from firstname.lastname@example.org, you should then e-mail email@example.com for assistance (including out-of-hours).
11. If you are having the test done for travel purposes, you understand that the result certificate we will issue to you is designed to meet all requirements laid down by the European Commission. If your destination country has result certificate requirements that are additional to the European Commission result format (e.g. the addition of your passport number to the result), we require you to alert us to these additional requirements either before your test or no later than the time at which your test is done. Where you have not alerted us to additional paperwork requirements, prior to or at the time of your test, you understand that we take no responsibility for subsequent immigration problems that might be encountered by you.