We are expanding our team at the Travel Health Clinic.
Find out more »
Book An Appointment
Contact us now to discuss your requirements and make an appointment.
Influenza (Seasonal Flu) Vaccine
The Seasonal Influenza (Flu) vaccine is a vaccine that becomes available in September of each year. It is intended to provide protection against the Flu virus that appears every year in the Autumn/Winter.
The cost of the vaccine is:
- €15 if it is administered during a regular Travel Vaccination consultation
- €25 if you come in to the Clinic just to have the Seasonal Influenza (Flu) vaccine only.
The Flu virus changes with time. As a result, a different kind of Seasonal Influenza (Flu) vaccine is made each year to protect against that year's flu virus. The Seasonal Influenza (Flu) vaccine for the autumn/winter 2017/2018 season came into stock at our clinic in September 2017. This vaccine will be used until March/April 2018.
Seasonal Influenza (Flu) vaccine is recommended1 for the following categories of people:
- Anybody aged 50 years or older
- All pregnant women at any stage of pregnancy
- Healthcare workers
- Anybody with chronic illnesses requiring regular medical check-ups. Examples include:
- Chronic respiratory disease (asthma, cystic fibrosis)
- Chronic heart disease
- Immunosuppression (due to medication, illness or a missing spleen)
- Anybody who lives with a person in section 4, just described above - i.e. in order to protect the vulnerable person from being infected by somebody who lives with them.
The brand of Seasonal Influenza (Flu) vaccine used in this clinic is not suitable for those who have an allergy to eggs, neomycin, formaldehyde or octoxinol 9. The vaccine can be given to those aged 3 years or older. One dose is sufficient in adults. It takes about two weeks for the vaccine to work. Children under 9 years of age who have not previously received the vaccine or those who are immunosuppressed and have not previously received the vaccine should receive a second dose 4 weeks later.
You can make an appointment to receive the Seasonal Influenza (Flu) vaccine by telephoning (01) 6334977 or by clicking here.
1 Immunisation Guidelines for Ireland, accessible here.